Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tight Tooshie Thursday :)

Are you ready for your weekly dose of all things fitness?
I have to say that this part of my health journey is beginning to be
the exciting part for me.
When I'm on that treadmill, or doing those crunches,
I can feel myself getting stronger and my body changing.
The more I do it, the more I want to do it.
It's addicting in a way.
I was pretty athletic growing up.
I danced for 10 years, I played softball, volleyball, basketball, threw shot put & discus on track-- well, let's be honest, I wasn't very good at shot put or discus, but I did get to work out in the weight room with the football players {perk!}--I'm just being honest :)
I have great memories of playing club volleyball and
playing at a level that I could push myself.
Pushing yourself gives you something to reach for.
And when you succeed, it's the best feeling!
One of the greatest accomplishments of my life so far {besides my husband and children} is when I was certified on the high ropes course at The Pines Camp back in 1999.
It was something I had no desire to do when I was first asked,
but I decided to try something out of my comfort zone.
It was the most physically and mentally challenging thing I have ever done.
I was terrified at the beginning.
But in the end, there I was, climbing 30 ft. trees, setting up belay systems, and encouraging kids to fall forward off a 20 ft. platform to zip line down.
I not only earned my certification, I was 2nd in my class.
And I was in the best shape of my life.
I used every single muscle in my body to the max that summer!
{here I am the summer of  '99 in all my high ropes glory!}
I think the key to fitness is to find something you like to do.
Working out shouldn't be boring.
If you enjoy it, you will do it.
It's different for everyone.
I am not a runner, but I have friends who love it.
I am not into riding a bike for long distances, but some people find it cathartic.
I like to dance, so I do a Zumba class.
I also like to watch TV, so I do a cardio climb on the treadmill.
It's like being a couch potato with benefits :)
I also have come to realize that I like to sweat.
When I sweat, I feel like I accomplished something.
So I like to do a lot of cardio.
I haven't done a jumping jack in forever.
I am now up to 2 sets of 40 jumping jacks, mixed with some pop ups where you bend down to touch your toes and then pop straight up in the air and back down again.
I am sweating a ton after some sets of those.
These are just a few of my fav things.
I'm not an expert on fitness.
I'm just a mom who's gonna lose it!

2 comments:

Robyn Jordan said...

It'll be awesome when your current photo looks even better than that photo. It's gonna happen!

Hope Jeffcoat said...

That WILL be awesome! We are definitely doing this!