Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tight Tooshie Thursday :)

Are you ready for your weekly dose of all things fitness?
I have to say that this part of my health journey is beginning to be
the exciting part for me.
When I'm on that treadmill, or doing those crunches,
I can feel myself getting stronger and my body changing.
The more I do it, the more I want to do it.
It's addicting in a way.
I was pretty athletic growing up.
I danced for 10 years, I played softball, volleyball, basketball, threw shot put & discus on track-- well, let's be honest, I wasn't very good at shot put or discus, but I did get to work out in the weight room with the football players {perk!}--I'm just being honest :)
I have great memories of playing club volleyball and
playing at a level that I could push myself.
Pushing yourself gives you something to reach for.
And when you succeed, it's the best feeling!
One of the greatest accomplishments of my life so far {besides my husband and children} is when I was certified on the high ropes course at The Pines Camp back in 1999.
It was something I had no desire to do when I was first asked,
but I decided to try something out of my comfort zone.
It was the most physically and mentally challenging thing I have ever done.
I was terrified at the beginning.
But in the end, there I was, climbing 30 ft. trees, setting up belay systems, and encouraging kids to fall forward off a 20 ft. platform to zip line down.
I not only earned my certification, I was 2nd in my class.
And I was in the best shape of my life.
I used every single muscle in my body to the max that summer!
{here I am the summer of  '99 in all my high ropes glory!}
I think the key to fitness is to find something you like to do.
Working out shouldn't be boring.
If you enjoy it, you will do it.
It's different for everyone.
I am not a runner, but I have friends who love it.
I am not into riding a bike for long distances, but some people find it cathartic.
I like to dance, so I do a Zumba class.
I also like to watch TV, so I do a cardio climb on the treadmill.
It's like being a couch potato with benefits :)
I also have come to realize that I like to sweat.
When I sweat, I feel like I accomplished something.
So I like to do a lot of cardio.
I haven't done a jumping jack in forever.
I am now up to 2 sets of 40 jumping jacks, mixed with some pop ups where you bend down to touch your toes and then pop straight up in the air and back down again.
I am sweating a ton after some sets of those.
These are just a few of my fav things.
I'm not an expert on fitness.
I'm just a mom who's gonna lose it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It'll be awesome when your current photo looks even better than that photo. It's gonna happen!

Unknown said...

That WILL be awesome! We are definitely doing this!