Thursday, July 24, 2014

"Finishers Wanted" ::: Robyn


We’re back!!!! To get us kick started we’re doing a diet bet!!! So fun! Join us!
 

I was thinking about blogging this morning and searching the web for my favorite poem. I have it memorized, but wanted to copy and paste it. :) In my search I found this Finishers Wanted. It’s a message that was given in 1989 by the prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, Thomas S Monson. At the time he was second counselor in the first presidency. I know that many of you are not of my faith or maybe of any faith. I hope that you will continue reading my post anyhow. These words were exactly what I needed today as I struggle to wrap my head around where I find myself.

The message is titled “Finishers Wanted”. Just the title alone gets me. It’s what I want for myself. Although the message isn’t about weight loss at all, it’s about the “race of life”,  it is exactly the message that I need. It gives me a clear vision and path in my journey.

President Mondson says, “In life, as in business, there has always been a need for those persons who could be called finishers. Their ranks are few, their opportunities many, their contributions great.”

I want to be a finisher. I feel bad about where I find myself now. I feel as if I have failed, but the truth is that I am still in the midst of the race. I have fallen. There are many who have forged ahead of me. But, it’s really not about speed or where I finish at all. I’m still in the race. I can get up, dust myself off and continue on. I can be a finisher!

Ecclesiastes 9:11 says: ... the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong….

My children often quote the story of the turtle and the hare. My journey will not be swift. I have many obstacles that make weight loss more difficult. However, my journey can be slow and steady. I have repeatedly lost my way. But, in this day, I am recommitting myself. I can be slow and steady. Steady being the real key for me.  

President Monson shares the “true marks of a finisher”
1. The Mark of Vision
2. The Mark of Effort
3. The Mark of Faith
4. The Mark of Virtue
5. The Mark of Courage
6. The Mark of Prayer

He obviously expands on all of these and if you are interested I encourage you to read his message. But, this is my new vision for this weight loss journey. I feel more prepared to embark on this hard road ahead of me.
My favorite poem that started all of this:

Stick to your task ’til it sticks to you;   
Beginners are many, but enders are few.   
Honor, power, place and praise   
Will always come to the one who stays. Stick to your task ’til it sticks to you;
Bend at it, sweat at it, smile at it, too;
For out of the bend and the sweat and the smile
Will come life’s victories after a while.

I am especially trying to “bend at it, sweat at it, smile at it too” with all capitol letter in SMILE!!!  Because I want to live a long healthy life. Because I want to feel good about myself both mentally and physically. Because my body is a temple.
 
So, here we go again!!!
Finishers Wanted, I will finish this!


 

2 comments:

A Life by Steph said...

Oh how I LOVED and NEEDED THIS! I look forward to following you and reading many more inspiring blogs!

Angie said...

Love this! Thanks Robyn! I'm excited to hear what the diet bet entails